Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Feeding the chickens......


My family recently became proud parents of 11 hens this year....and trust me those chickens are babied. Nothing completes a long day of chores like sitting on the back porch with a cup of hot apple cider and watching them free range around the yard. Of course my dog makes relaxing at the end of the day even better.

However, those feathered ladies sure know how to lay eggs! We have 11 layers, and right now they are all producing. Which means that we are one egg shy of a carton almost everyday...... that's 77 eggs a week!!!! So needless to say I've been baking my buns off (hahaha-I made a pun) trying to use up all those eggs before they go bad. I think I'm going to try this http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/10/promise-keeper-pumpkin-eater/ pumpkin muffin recipe from a blog I stumbled on called smitten kitchen. I think I will be visiting this kitchen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment